Thursday, April 10, 2014

Co-Worker Rant

So after whining yesterday about my doubts regarding university, I thought I should take the time out of my day to whine about a different aspect of my life: work. 

There is nothing quite as frusterating to me as someone who denies they're at fault and refuses to stop blaming someone else. I had this today at work when a key disappeared after I'd given it to a co worker. He said I didn't give him the right key, although I did double check the tags before giving it to him and am pretty sure it was the correct one. So after a few minutes of arguing I figured I'd  try to restore the peace and gave a couple of no-one-at-fault senarios that he all shot down and then continued to blame it all on me. 

Even after several hours, he would throw in a "you gave me the wrong key" comment and remind me that he had seniority and I'm still new. Worst of all, I can't even talk to my boss about it since she and this guy are good friends.

Now, he's a very odd fellow to begin with and one that I find to be quite unprofessional and isn't the best communicator ever. He will skype chat with old friend during work hours, goes to the bathroom almost once an hour and will just disappear without telling anyone for 15 min at a time. My first or second week on the job, he told be I was being bossy and he still had seniority because I tried to rush him. He probably was right, but the tone and words he used sounded rude. I did tone it down and went out I my way to be super polite when I needed him to do something, and all was well until today.

The way he communicates with people is a little rude and condescending; I had already noticed he need to be right. He also will gladly gossip behind your back to people and loves to gossip to me about who was being rude to him. I usually play along, but I'm always taken aback when someone mentions what he's said about me. 

I have a feeling he'll prove to be a valuable teacher, even though he frustrates me, because he'll help me to learn what not to say to people and how to suck up to your boss. Unfortunately not all your life teachers will be ones you like, and often you discover what irritates and learn to do the opposite. It's immensely aggravating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment