Sunday, June 22, 2014

Philosophical Debates and the Slow Loss of My Mind

I love it how a single quote can cause my brain to spin out without any warning, and how I desperately need to write about it even though a part of me feels that it's completely useless because who wants to read about any of my philosophical ideas. It doesn't help that philosophy usually winds up with (as my dad put it) young adults talking about the meaning of life in a bar, showing off their intelligence and pretending that they are incredibly wise. That's paraphrasing of course, ain't no body got time to pay attention to their ranting parents. 

I'm not currently in a bar, nor do I have anyone to share my intelligence with save for the World Wide Web where this post will likely become lost is a jumble of cat gifs and badly misspelled Facebook updates, so we can pretend that I'm not egotistical even though we all know I am. 

The quote was just a stupid one line thing with no real deeper meaning; all it said was "I'd rather have an enemy who says they hate than a friend who secretly puts me down". I thought about it and realized that no, at this point in my life I'd rather live with the illusion that I'm well liked. Which means as long as I never find out that you hate my guts, I will happily accept the illusion as reality. Technically the illusion is only an illusion to those who know you hate my guys and reality to everyone else, so I doubt I'd be the only one living in reality 2.0. 

Here's where my brain starts wildly spinning for no reason, what makes reality reality and illusion illusion? Is reality reality simply because the majority believes it, because in that case we could say that since the only person who knows you hate me is you and the rest of the world sees us as friends, doesn't that mean that your hate for me is merely an illusion and our friendship is reality? 

To continue, does that mean that everyone lives an illusion based on their own perspectives so no one lives in reality at all? Is going by the majority even a good idea? We do it all the time for everything from grades, to sanity, to what we determine as healthy, etc. If we don't go by the majority then what the hell could we go by? Why do I even give a shit?

That is how erratic my thoughts can get, and we haven't even touched on if philosophy matters especially when we're under the reign of science, why we have a desire to debate what can never be proven, why are ideas like religion or spirituality needed, and how our all these thoughts are merely a series of neurons firing and what is consciousness. Whew, I'm pretty sure my head is dangerously close to spontaneous combustion. Also why do I care some much about disappointing them that I get nightmares about getting the wrong rental car?


No comments:

Post a Comment