Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Problem with Family Living

Recently, I've been wanting more and more space, to the point where I'm actually wanting to move out and live on my own. First off, to my great annoyance, I know my parents are going to say that I need a job. Understood. To some degree I want a job and I plan on finding one. Save that lecture for Saturday.

The constant questioning of the things that I'd like to do with my life bothers me a lot and makes me feel almost like a loser. Every time I mention something I'd like to do in my future, I feel like I always have to brace myself to defend my own personality and wants. My dad has this terrible habit of saying that the things I'd like don't fit my personality. It bothers me so much that he "knows" more about me than me. "Knows" because I'm not entirely sure he really does. I don't like telling my parents about my dreams, because I feel like they'll rip them apart in seconds. That's one of the things I'd like to move away from.

I'd like to learn how to cook, but I hate it when my sister walks into the room and starts pretending to gag because she doesn't like it. I don't make her eat it, in fact I've started only cooking for myself because my siblings are picky eaters. Nonetheless, it still bothers me that I have to listen to my sister whine about whatever I choose to make for myself.

I'd like the ability to choose things without having to compromise for others. I'd like to be able to buy foods that are organic or healthy without my dad going all "this is stupid" on me. I'd like to be able to fail without having people re-affirm that failure as soon as they notice it. Living alone intrigues me, yet I understand how it can be difficult. There are somethings I'd like to try just to see if it works for me or not. My dad constantly questions my ability to be alone. He doesn't believe that I could live alone because I need the family communication. True, I do need family communication, but I'm not planning on moving to the other side of the world. I'd still still like to live in the same area and the ability to visit my family when I feel like it, but I think I'd like the freedom of living alone.

Now, we wait until my dad sends an email detailing why my thinking is flawed. I don't mind his emails, but for once a positive "maybe that would be something that would work for you" would be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment