Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Plautdietsch

Right now, I'm really struggling with something. My parents and most members of my dad's side of the family speck Plautdietsch, which is essential the Mennonite language. I am Mennonite, and I don't like the fact that I can't speak Plautdietsch which I perceive to be a part of Mennonite culture. I have asked my parents in the past to teach me and they haven't. My mom tried for a little while to answer my questions on how to say certain things, but she says she's not that fluent in it. And unfortunately, there is no online course or tool to help you learn.

To be honest, in some ways I'm pissed that my parents didn't teach me it growing up. It would have been so much easier. I grew up listening to it, and I know some words and understand what is trying to be conveyed when some speaks it, but I don't know how.

This goes back to another issue I've been dealing with, which is the dying out of cultures and evolving society. Should we just let it happen? Is it the natural course of life to let languages and cultures die out? To what extent should we try and keep the culture or language? It feels wrong to let something die out, considering that we still have pieces from ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, etc, but should we let it happen.

I feel like I should speak Plautdietsch. Maybe I would like to because it would make me different and unique, maybe I just have a desire to be connected to something from the past or maybe I just want to feel more Mennonite. I really don't know. Either way, I'm upset that I don't know it, and I'm upset that my parents didn't teach me when I was younger and won't teach me now.

-Asiemens

No comments:

Post a Comment